Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake
Okay, let’s kick this off with an old favorite. This is the sort of cake that makes people who don’t like cake like cake.
Noodle on that for a bit. Enjoy the cake while you do.
- 1 3/4 c. boiling water
- 1 c. uncooked oats (quick or old-fashioned)
13/4 c. lightly packed brown sugar 12/3 c. granulated sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 c) margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 c. unsifted all purpose flour
- 1 package (12 oz) chocolate bits
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 2 T. cocoa powder
- (Optional: 3/4 c. walnuts)
Okay, ready? Turn the oven to preheat at 350 degrees and:
- Pour boiling water over oats and let stand 10 mins.
- Add both sugars and margarine.
- Stir until margarine melts.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Sift together flour, soda, salt and cocoa.
- Combine flour and sugar mixtures. Mix well.
- Add half the choclate bits and pour into a greased and floured 9/13” pan.
- Sprinkle walnuts and remaining chocolate bits on top.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven ~40 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean.
While we usually want to start gobbling this cake as soon as it comes out of the oven, it’s a good idea to cover it and let it cool down a bit (an hour or two) before serving.
Serves a whole bunch.
This is: brett's logjam → Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake.